Poppy Loves Book Club provides a worldwide patform for authors, new and established, to reach new readers and spread the word about their books.
We work hard to ensure that each title we read receives the maximum exposure via my blog and my, the book club’s and the book club’s members’ social media channels.
Poppy Loves Book Club sees women all around the world reading the same book at the same time and then coming online together to discuss it, on the last Wednesday of every month.
We now have around 3500 members and we have had some brilliant authors join us, including Jessie Burton, Nina Stibbe, Karen Joy Fowler, Kate Mosse, Hannah Kent, Anthony Quinn etc…
Some of my members take part as individuals from wherever they are in the world and some join in from their own Poppy Loves Book Clubs, of which there are many around the world, including Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Kurdistan etc… Each book club has a ‘Captain Book’ who runs the book club, and they all receive the same book club questions each month.
The result is thousands of women all reading the same title and promoting it via social media throughout the month.
Criteria for selection
1. The book must be in paperback at the beginning of the month we are reading the title and ideally retailing at no more than £7.99. This means that we are never able to read new hardback releases.
2. The book must be available for download to e-reader/kindle
3. The book must be available WORLDWIDE – we have members in some far flung places!
4. The author would ideally be able to take part in the discussion – they can either join in online from wherever they are, or come along to Notting Hill, where they can join in with the group and online via interactive live videos and photos.
5. The girls in Kurdistan have no access to books and they take 4 weeks to get there…and sometimes never arrive. So we now work with publishers to send the Captain Book (the girl who runs the book club there) a watermarked PDF of the book. This works extremely well and she is very responsible. The PDFs are destroyed after book club and they are not forwarded anywhere. A small number of copies are printed and the share amongst themselves.
6. We require 6 books of the title for promo throughout the month.
7. If you would like to run a giveaway at the beginning of the month, it is a super way of generating a bit of buzz and getting everyone excited! Prizes would need to be sent directly from the publisher and need to be able to be posted worldwide. Prizes must be posted before the 5th of the month, in order that recipients have the maximum amount of time to read the book before the discussion. We charge a nominal fee to run this competition.
How do we select our titles?
We have a Book Club Selection Panel who meet twice a year. We aim to select a broad range of books across different genres. If you would like to put forward a book, please contact us and we’ll let you know where to send it.
We run a regular social media competitions for our members, which is where we can promote and support new releases. Please get in touch to discuss the various options and packages.